Alfred Edgar Truckell
14th February 1919 -25th February 2007
A.E. Truckell, curator of Dumfries Museum from 1948 to 1982, was a remarkable man. Possessed of an astonishing memory and impressive speed reading skills, his job was his passion, and until he died his mission was to educate and inform the people about the history of Dumfries and Galloway, a task he relished and undertook with considerable enthusiasm.
The Miniature Grandfather Clock
In 1999 Alf Truckell donated a clay clock made in Carsethorn, the village where he lived, to Dumfries Museum.
This clock was one of the last things made at the Kirkbean Tile and Brickworks before it closed in 1894. Good clay was available at the mouth of the Pow Burn, and small schooners and burgers brought coal from Cumberland for the kilns. They also took the drain tiles and bricks out.
Alf Truckell and James Williams at the doors of Dr. Griersons museum in Thornhill.
Alf Truckell leads a visit to The Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History and Antiquarian Society to the cruck cottage at Torthorwald, 1950’s.
The Dumfries and Maxwelltown Astronomical Society accepted the offer of Thomas Morton, a Kilmarnock carpet manufacturer and enthusiastic astronomical instrument maker to supply an 8″ gregorian telescope for £73.